Passages records the books I'm reading, the live music I'm hearing, and the movies I'm seeing. Every now and then I'll throw in a passage from a book I read a while back or a trailer from a old favorite movie. Occasionally, there is something that simply caught my eye. But most of it is what I'm reading and hearing and watching in real time.

Thursday, February 26, 2015

The World Of Raymond Chandler

It was all too much too soon for a town that had no evolved culture of its own. What had emerged, Chandler saw as being just as much the product of bland mass production and advertising. He called it "the culture of the filter-tipped cigarette...leading to a steakless steak to be broiled on a heatless broiler in a non-existent oven and eaten by a toothless ghost."

The World of Raymond Chandler, edited by Barry Day (2014)

I smelled Los Angeles before I got to it. It smelled stale and old like a living room that had been closed too long. But the colored light fooled you.

Raymond Chandler, The Little Sister (1949)

No comments:

Post a Comment